I apologize for the brief interruptions in mail and web services today. It was necessary to install new SSL encryption certificates as the old were about to expire. Comodo is now Sectigo and they only shipped me the domain cert and one of two intermediate certificates and no root certs so the bundle-ca file they provided didn’t work. Had to get them to re-issue so it took two installs. In the process I discovered a configuration issue with the incoming mail servers. Encrypted mail would only work if the far end requested STARTTLS on port 25, port 587 and 465 were not operational. Now it will accept encrypted e-mail on any of these ports either STARTTLS or TLS wrapper mode.
I received a call today asking when the web server would be back up. The operating system was responsive, Apache was running but some pages would come up and some would not. I wasn’t able to determine the cause but rebooted the server and it hung during the reboot attempt. I then hard forced a boot and after it came back up it seemed to operate normally.
These two virtual machines are moved to their new hosts.
I am taking julinux and scientific7 down for a couple of hours to move them to different physical hosts so that public name servers are distributed across different physical host machines so at least one will be up at any given time.
Tonight I completed the task of configuring the new drives in and moving data to them. This required a lengthy downtime of the virtual machines including web service on this particular host because data can’t be accessed while it is being moved from one RAID array to another.
I still have to check all the machines to make sure all disk partitions are properly mounted and all machines properly NIS bound but otherwise everything should be good.
New drives are successfully installed. Haven’t got them configured into a RAID array yet but the machine sees them so the hardware is good.
I will be taking the server which houses home directories down to attempt again to add disks again. This time equipped with 3-1/2 to 5-1/4 adapters and power cables. Expected downtime is about an hour but I will also be rebooting the other machines to get them off of the 5.0.0 kernel which has proven to be flakey.
Login problems were caused by the fact that the syntax required by the external users module, used to allow login with Eskimo system logins, changed between 14.10 and 15.07 but nothing bothered to check this or tell me about it. The config.php syntax has been corrected to work with the newer version.
You will need to agree to terms of service, if you do not, service will not be provided. If you are using automated apps, before they will work you will need to login to the website:
And tick the ‘Accept Terms of Service’ box.
NextCloud updates were completed last night. We are now on version 15.07. Some applications were removed because no updated versions were available. Other new applications were added.
An upgrade from 14.06 to 14.10 broke several applications for which no update was available. I will be cleaning those up and then proceeding with an upgrade to 15.x this evening. This is somewhat involved so may not be finished for several days.